Saturday 11 August 2007

Theatre Of Dreams

What need I say, it is still as special as the 1st time my parents took my brother and I, to the Crystal Palace game back in 1980.

Portman road. 2pm today, and my father and I arrive 1 hour before kick-off of the 1st game of the 07/08 season against Sheffield Wednesday. Dad hadn't been to a game for years, and when asked when the last time was, he replied "It was the game against Villa when that little striker got lots of verbal abuse". He was referring to Dean Saunders, which must have been approx 7 years ago. A situation which was to repeat itself this afternoon with Francis Jeffers after his decision not to join Ipswich due to their refusal to meet his pay demands, and joined Wednesday instead. Chants similar to "Francis Jeffers...greedy Bar steward..." rung around the ground.




1 hour before the start of the game, and the warning on the back of the goal reads "Please be aware of flying footballs during warm up". Its the 1st time I've seen this, and it reminded me of a game when Alan Shearer ran out on to the pitch before the game had started, and hit a powerful shot at goal, that drifts wide. Well my brother and I had seats just to the side of the goal, and the ball he hit came flying towards us. Now, my brother goes to punch this ball back, but he only manages to deflect it into the face of the woman sitting in front of us! I don't remember any apologies, I think we hoped she hadn't noticed the flight of the ball. So the sign on the goal isn't as stupid as it seems.



3pm. Kick-off time and the players are ready to start. 37secs later, and we are celebrating Alan lee tucking away a penalty, its 1-0 to the SuperBlues, and the chant of "We are top of the league" starts. Which hopefully will be heard often around Portman Road this season.

11mins and Gary Roberts hits a cracking volley to put town 2-0 up.

20mins and Alan Lee hits a low shot for his second of the game, and Town's Third.

60mins and Pablo Counago sidefoots home a pass, to make it 4-0, at the North Stand end.

89mins and Clarke, for Wednesday, gets a late consolation goal, after Town fail to clear the ball from the previous shot, to finish the game 4-1.

Thanks again to Mr.B for letting me have the season tickets while away on holiday. Also Thanks to Dad for going with me today and driving. Hopefully you enjoyed it as much as I did. Poor old Francis Jeffers though should have stayed on the team bus.


No.5

1 comment:

Picklesmum said...

Let's hope this isn't the highlight of the season, keep it up boys!!