Saturday 4 August 2007

Fish Pond

I have loved fish and fishing, from the very first time my dad and mum took my brother and I, to the lake in Ickworth park, with a rod and reel, and a 1/4 pint of maggots. If I remember rightly we only caught one Roach, but I was "hooked" on the sport from that moment.

Being one who likes to socialize in hostelries. When a friend said he was going to the "States" for 3 weeks holiday and was concerned about his pond, after a previous holiday, and lost fish due to a hot summer, I offered to call round and feed the fish, and keep the water level topped up.

To me this is not a chore, it is a pleasure. I could spend hours beside water, just staring into it looking at the fish, feeding.
This is a photo of the Koi carp taking some of the fish flakes today.
I did wonder though, if I put one of the 10Lb+ Carp from the Moreton Hall pub pond, in his, whether he would mention I might of over fed his fish ?

No.5

1 comment:

buryblue said...

me too. Your blog reminds me of the days when a group of us would bike out to Ickworth Park to go fishing. We would always look forwarding to the final bit of the journey around St Mary's Church which was downhill and especially the off road section down to the Canal Lake.

Its sad in a way that you can no longer fish there.

Like you I have dug myself a pond and it is amazing how soon wildlife finds its way there from frogs and damsel flys and newts. Yours looks well established with those lilly pads