Thursday 21 June 2007

June 16th - 20th, Brancaster, Norfolk.

On Saturday 16th, my brother, sister-in-law, nephew and I, left Bury St.Edmunds at about 2pm to go to Brancaster in Norfolk. On the way there we stopped off at Beers of Europe in Setchey on the Kings Lynn road.



When we pulled up the car we'd parked beside started rolling backwards as we got out, with nobody inside. So while I held the car stationary, my brother asked inside for the owner, who came out and pulled his handbrake on. I hope he hadn't been drinking already !


In this off licence / warehouse there is three long aisles of bottled beer, wines and spirits. They stock local and national beers, ales and ciders. Beer from all over europe all labelled by country, and some beer glasses to match. And all main spirits. http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/
After we had made some purchases we drove on along the coast road through Hunstanton on to Brancaster to the house we were staying at with my parents. http://www.glavenvalley.co.uk/millhill/

Sunday 17th June - Brancaster beach



After a cooked breakfast courtesy of my mum in the kitchen and my brother on a gas barbecue on the patio, at the house, we set off with bucket and spades (can i say that ?) , to Brancaster beach.
Now the sea or tide does go a long way out between low and high tide in this area making the water quite shallow, and a lot of people come here to fly kites, kite surf, walk the dog, and like me use having a young person (nephew) with you to get away with making a sand castle.


After a day on the beach with all that sand I found my mouth was a bit dry, so along with my brother we stopped off at the local hostelry The Ship Inn, which was just a 5 minute walk from our holiday house, where we were welcomed by the landlord called Mike. Who, honestly, keeps the best pint of Greene King IPA I've ever tasted.




Monday 18th June - Wells-next-the-sea
Set off monday with the plan to go to Burnham Market. On arrival there, a village similar to Long Melford or Lavenham around these parts, it was bustling with people and cars and no spaces to park, so we carried on further to Wells-next-the-sea.

I caught crabs

And i can strongly recommend bacon, as bait, to catch these little nippers.


Having walked up the main shopping street, and stopping at the butchers for the next days sausages and bacon. We tried the bacon in the bait bag, you don't use hooks, the crabs grip on to the perforated bag. Off the habour wall

During my whole time away the weather was pretty much the same as in Bury St.Edmunds all be it a couple of hours later, realised after conversations with my wife back here. When we left Wells to return to the house in Brancaster, we stopped in Holkham at The Victoria Inn, where one of a few thunder storms and heavy rain past over us.

Tuesday 19th June - Hunstanton


The consistency of the sand was not as good on this beach, and good sand castles were not easy to make, as those on Brancaster beach. So we decided to make a sand person instead. You will see from the picture that "collars and cuffs" match, made from seaweed.



Wednesday 20th June - Snettisham Park Farm
Came back home today via Snettisham Park Farm, where you can pet and feed some of the animals,and also a deer safari (which I didn't go on). There are a lot of goats and chickens but also, sheep, cows, llama, rabbits, ducks, tortoise and pigs.

This new mum has a lot of mouths to feed.

No.5

2 comments:

fourpints said...

Wells next to Sea is one of my most favorite places on the planet.
When the tide is out you can walk for miles on the beach and see no one. Though if your not careful its one of those places where the tide can come in behind you and you can easily get cut off from land.
When I get a chance to come back over to England its one of the places on my list to go to.

Her indoors said...

I love your sand creations. I've never made a Sand Person, but I now know what I am going to do next time I'm at the seaside! ;-)