Thursday 28 June 2007

Cats

This subject about cats is a bit controversial, and thought I would mention it on my blog. I have adopted two cats, brother and sister, Jack and Tiggy. They are my wifes cats and came to live with me after I married, they were 7 years old, and their 11 now.
They are just basic domestic cats, but came over from America, where they had been declawed on their front paws.
This is quite a common practice in America, and the main reason it is done, is to stop them scratching the furniture around the house. They are basically housecats, because they can't defend themselves if they were to meet another cat outdoors. They do get to go out in the back garden when I'm out there, because they can't get over the fence, even though Jack is good at jumping.
The procedure is carried out when they are kittens, and they think they still have claws, trying to scratch at the furniture, trying to bury their food, padding when petted and covering up their business in the litterbox, which has to remain constantly indoors for them.
I think its cruel, and didn't have a say in it, but do know the damage they can cause to table legs etc.

No.5

2 comments:

Her indoors said...

I have two cats who still have claws and the damage they have done to our carpet has been horrendous. It's not worth us getting a new carpet until we eventually sell the house ;-(

Giselparry said...


great article and learning for me! i found a considerable measure of data here! this article is great for all novice here.
Pogo Phone Number