Thursday 24 January 2008

Pork Chops

Everyone knows what they like on their plate, as we all have taste buds in our mouths. Now I did have a few "domestic science" lessons at school, but it was always uncool when you had to carry the ingredients on the school bus on a Friday, as that was the day for my lesson, and then transport your burnt offerings back home, again on an Eastern Counties double decker.
A lot of men think that their mother is the best cook in the world, particularly the Italians, because her cooking is what they were brought up on, me included, although I'm not Italian, but have never really been shown any dishes, just a few tips here and there.
So when I've been fending for myself over the last 12 years, I have built up a repertoire of about 5 or 6 dishes. These are Steak, Chicken with rice, the good old Spaghetti Bolognese, Pasta, Fish and Pork Chops.
The latter is the one I've never been able to make very tasty to me, "no matter what I've tried" (are they lyrics) until tonight.
I've tried garlic, onion, steak seasoning, Cajun, and all sorts of herbs and sauces. Tonight I came home and simply put salt (yes, that unhealthy ingredient) and cracked pepper from a pepper mill on a couple of chops, and they were delicious, along with broccoli, boiled potatoes and ranch dressing over the Veg.

Call me Chef No.5

1 comment:

grumpyoldwoman said...

I am all for easy cooking! Try wrapping a chicken breast (free range of course) in pancetta. Bung it on a baking tray in the a moderate over for 30 mins. Meanwhile chuck some gnocci in boiling water for a few mins until they float, coat them in green pesto sauce and eat with green salad with balsamic vinegar and warmed tomatoes - simple and simply delicious. (PS: oldest son taught me that one)