Saturday 17 November 2007

A Long Walk

At 10am my brother and I got dropped off, by my sister-in-law, at the back entrance to Ickworth park, near Little Saxham, and entered the park for a morning of walking, despite it being just 3 deg C.
On the gate was a notice warning of Deer culling in progress and advising people to stick to designated trails, but it said it would finish on last Tuesday 13th Nov.
At the bottom of the long hill down we went off to the right following the stream that comes from the Lake, passed the bomb hole where my brother broke his collar bone many years ago, getting some big air on my mountain bike. About half way along before you reach the road that runs down from Ickworth church we went off to the right up into the woods, where we saw the 1st Deer of the morning, a large male complete with tall antlers. Bearing left through the woods to keep us heading in our original direction we saw 2 more Deer and also ladders against trees where the cullers hide up to shot them. We carried on walking until we came out onto the Chevington entrance to the park, and got on the parks red trail.
This part of the park I know much better, and it takes you past the Needle, a memorial to the Marquess of Bristol, but I don't know the theory for its location in a field. We stopped briefly while my brother took a photo (which I'll post if he emails them to me) before heading down to what I know as the fairy or blue lake in the park, the one that feeds by stream the main lake.
At the fairy lake we had a cheese biscuit and a drink and fed a couple of hungry white Ducks that liked cheese biscuits too, until the were all gone, then it was off in the direction of Horringer.
We came out of the park at the entrance that's after the last house on the right hand side, as you leave Horringer in the Haverhill direction, and walked down through to the village to the Six Bells, arriving there about 12:30pm after walking about 5 to 6 miles.
This pub changed hands a couple of weeks ago, and I hadn't been in there for a long while, and I don't think many of the villagers had either, so we got a pint of Old Speckled Hen and ordered the chicken curry each. The curry was just the right spice temperature.
Leaving the pub, we had planned on phoning my sister-in-law to come and pick us up, but I noticed a man at the bus stop and suggested we got on the bus back to Bury instead. When we boarded the bus, the driver didn't charge us either, I don't think his ticket machine was working.

I finished grouting around the bathroom tiles I'd had to put up where the old shower had been, then fell asleep on the sofa.

No.5

No comments: