Friday 27 July 2007

Avoiding the Subject

I have been avoiding the subject of Industrial action for a month, since it started, because I had hoped it would have been resolved by now.
The company I work for has offered me a pay cut, not a pay rise as it has done, and most companies do each year.
Every day at work, I try to provide every customer, I serve, as do my colleagues, with the product or service that best meet their needs, and recently we have had to "cross sell" other products to keep the business on the high street.
I am sorry if I have asked "you" if you need a credit card or home,car or travel insurance, or wish to invest in savings products, when you just want to post a birthday card to "auntie Doris", but that is what I am asked of now.
I didn't join the business to be a pushy salesperson, but would like a pay rise each year inline with my mortgage rises, council tax rises, utility bill rises, car tax rises, etc etc.
So, my colleagues and I, are "sorry" if your card to auntie Doris, is a day late, or there is a long queue to be served by an inexperienced manager brought in with expenses paid, and your passport application is rejected by obvious mistakes, during this time of industrial action.

No.5

4 comments:

todaysdaze said...

so you are a postie then...

I remember years ago (when I worked for BT) the post office were on strike. I was asked to take the mail to the sorting office on St Andrews St but couldn't as I was a member of the same union and would have been crossing the picket line.

BTW hope you get a good raise before having to go on strike....

Picklesmum said...

Are you always cashier no.5? I may come in disguise and stalk you!!

Cashier No.5 said...

we sit in different places each day, dependant on start/finish times, and the one in the middle(5) of counter is head of queue you are busier so we rotate around.

buryblue said...

My father worked there for some 42 years so I can remember more than one occasion when strike action was taken.

I am concerned about the potential closure of local post offices throughout the country and find it a struggle to find out any accurate information on this. In these days where news can be doctored by the BBC it is difficult to know if what we read in newspapers is truth about the no of closures