Saturday 27 September 2008

Home Brewed - Sloe Gin

On the 20th of February this year, I put a post up about making Sloe Gin. I had noticed in the last few weeks, some Blackthorn bushes on the Moreton Hall estate, during my Bicycle ride to work. So this afternoon I felt the time was right to plunder them for their berries (Sloe's) above Dog leg height, before someone else beat me to them.

Having gathered about a pound in weight, and taking the best of the fruit I could find, I headed home to make my brew. Walking in the opposite direction to me was a couple with empty ice cream containers. Were they after the same thing, or some of the other fruits that grow in the hedgerows in the area ?

Back from foraging, and the three ingredients required. Sloe's, Sugar and Gin.

Time to prick the berries, and this should traditionally be done with a thorn from the bush, but I used a cocktail stick. A time consuming job that takes as long as picking the berries themselves.


Half fill the Gin bottle with berries, then add the Sugar.



Then add the Gin. I Purchased a bottle duty free on the way home from Turkey. Leave a small space in the neck of the bottle, so that you can turn the bottle to dissolve the Sugar, for the first few days. Then store in a cool cupboard for a few months.
Doing it this early can mean its ready for Christmas. Quantities are not essential, and if in doubt keep it simple.

No.5



3 comments:

Christina S said...

I am impressed, No.5. Very industrious of you.

grumpyoldwoman said...

I have never drunk sloe gin - is it nice? Will you be having a festive bloggers tasting - shall I make truffles?

Cashier No.5 said...

I plan on getting some more Sloe's on friday from a more rural location. So as to compare a taste difference.
This is my first attempt at making any, so I'm not sure about sharing my "1st batch".
It may be to moreish to share...lol.

No.5